1-2-1 Executive Coaching Tips
Jo Larbie, 1st June 2018
1-2-1 executive coaching is the most effective solution for advancing your career into senior and leadership roles. My coaching tips will help you to get the results that you desire.
Set up and preparation
- Be clear on the context behind the reason for the coaching assignment.
- Understand the measures by which the coaching assignment will be considered as a success.
- Agree the timescales for the desired outcomes, key milestones and the periods of review.
- Always best to be positioned clearly as a process of support, development and progression.
- Respect and trust the need for confidentiality.
What to expect
- To be asked loads of questions in a safe, secure, confidential setting, so trust the process.
- You set the agenda, so bring 2-3 key and current things that you want to work on.
- You will be doing most of the talking, so come with an open mind and willingness to share your thoughts.
- To have your choices and options going forward expanded, so be ready and willing to consider change and progression.
- To come up with your own answers and make your own decisions, so allow the coaching process to support and develop your thinking.
Development and progress
- Take your key learning points from each coaching session and then implement one at a time.
- Practice any tools or techniques where you are most comfortable first to gain confidence and conviction in what you are doing.
- Implement your learning first into your “try it out” first sessions (the meetings, calls, conversations you know of) as this will give you the opportunity to prepare.
- Be authentic by creating your application, building upon your experience, and constructing your stories and examples.
- Be patient with yourself and those around you, this is about continual progress rather than perfection.